fredag 5 november 2010

How long are you staying?

The constant question from all people I meet. If I then answer "Maybe a week or two", they would say "Oh really, so long?!"... Hmmm.... However, I know that there are people here that stay longer, some even for a month or two. The thing about Varkala is that there is absolutely nothing to do here, except going to the beach! Today I took a day off from the beach, and went for a long walk in the morning (which was nice, there is a walking path just by the sea) and then I strolled around among the shops (which is less fun since they all get so disappointed when you don't buy anything).

Before lunch I went for a massage - the most oily and intimate massage in my whole life! She literally poured olive oil all over me, over my head, face, body, everywhere! And then she rubbed it in in the most intimate way I experienced (I had to get ALL my clothes off, which was a little bit uncomfortable in the beginning but soon I forgot about it). I must say that it was an hour of relaxation, it really wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it massage (I actually had more back pain afterward then before since I had to lay down on a hard bench).

After the massage I went to a Tibetan restaurant - most people who work here are Nepalese or Tibetan - and had some great momos. I really enjoy trying a new dish every day, and most of the time I am not disappointed.

I must also say that if you take the time to talk with the vendors in the street for a little while, you find out that some of them are really nice! So far I met two female shop owners from Karnataka (north of Kerala) that are very kind and interested even if you don't buy anything from their shop, and three restaurant waiters (one from Darjeeling and two from Varkala proper) who are really chatty and really interested to know more about you and your life. If you just go with the flow (and not do as I often do, rush past them and hurry through the conversation) and relax, it can be quite an interesting and giving little chat. You just have to get used to their sometimes intimate questions (such as religion, money, house, social status etc ).

There are also some vendors that are not quite so nice though. Several times they tried to convince me and basically shame me into buying their products. "If you don't buy anything from our shop we wont survive!" several women exclaimed. I try to politely tell them that I neither need nor have space in my bag for more stuff, but they just continue: "you can send the things home with the post, it's very cheap, buy some of our stuff!". If you continue to refuse, they will say "okay, you come back later, another time, and buy from my shop". And next time you pass them they will say: "You promised to come back and have a look, now come buy!"

Haha well well, what to do, nothing but laughing ;)
(and there's no need for getting bad conscience because very very soon the high season will start and the place will be heaped with all the tourists who will stay in India just for a week or two and will love to buy things from their shop :)

I am not really sure what to do now, it's raining outside so no beach (and I am way to red from sun worshiping already... But wait a minute! This is why I came here, no? To do nothing? To just read books, listen to audio books and pod casts, and relax. It is really so hard to remember that I should do nothing, since I am so used to always do SOMETHING.

So now, I am going to go and do nothing!

:)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar